Join the Class of 2018.
What is Leadership Oakland?
Leadership Oakland is a professional development, networking, and leadership training program of the Oakland Chamber of Commerce. Now in its 28th year, the program offers Oakland’s current and future leaders the opportunity to gain an in-depth knowledge of the role leadership plays in our city and prepares participants for roles on City commissions, non-profit boards, elected office, and greater community engagement.
What is the curriculum?
Each day-long session is devoted to an in-depth exploration of various topics relevant to Oakland. Participants are introduced to speakers and leaders from the Oakland community.
During each session, you will be introduced to experts and leaders who will speak about the factors that impact Oakland's future.
- Leadership skills and professional development
- Economic Development
- City Government and neighborhoods
- Local news media
- Health Care
- City Commissions and Boards of Directors
- Public Safety
- Transportation and the environment
- The program also includes several unique site visits and field trips, as well as attendance at the Chamber of Commerce’s Annual Awards Luncheon in June.
What is the commitment?
One full day per month from October to June, usually the second Friday from 8:30am-4pm, followed by a cohort happy hour.
- Participants also complete a small group project for a local non-profit or micro-business, and should expect to devote approximately 5 hours per month outside of sessions
- Tuition includes: all program materials, leadership training sessions, breakfasts, and lunches, as well as costs associated with Chamber mixers, the Annual Awards Luncheon, and graduation ceremony.
- Tuition includes: all program materials, leadership training sessions, breakfasts, and lunches, as well as costs associated with Chamber mixers and events free to members, Annual Awards Luncheon, and graduation ceremony.
- Early Bird/Non-Profit Tuition June 1 - July 31: $1,150
- Tuition from August 1 - September 12: $1,350
- Tuition from September 13 - September 29: $1,550
Who should participate in Leadership Oakland?
Leadership Oakland is for:
- Anyone living or working in Oakland who has a stake in the City’s future, and plans to continue to be involved in Oakland five years from now.
- Anyone with an interest in government, advocacy, non-profit work, or who wishes to contribute to the betterment of our community.
- Anyone interested in professional development and leadership skills training.
- Participants come from a wide array of backgrounds and often include executives, business owners, consultants, and employees of politicians.
- Cohorts develop a close bond that provides them a valuable network after the program ends. Participants also benefit from membership in the Leadership Oakland Alumni Association, which hosts mixers and events year round.
How do I get involved?
For more information or questions, contact Aly Bonde at email@example.com.
Leadership Oakland Class of 2017
- Public Policy
- Economic Development
- Events & Programs